Person Profile: Ideally seeking expereinced medical writers preferably with a higher degree.
May take trainee
Medical Writing and Editing:
- Be aware of the stages of a project that may require medical writing, editing and proof-reading.
- Confirm specification for each project (e.g. objectives, target audience, word count) with the Director as appropriate.
- Work within the job specification, including time allocation and agreed budgets, flagging up any variances in advance to the account team.
- Undertake writing of manuscripts as required by account teams. (N.B. "manuscript" refers to all types of writing work, including clinical papers and PowerPoint slides.)
- Ensure writing work is of high scientific and literary standards and meets objectives.
- Undertake research in the therapy area to allow effective writing.
- Be aware of the editorial style required (OHW Med Ed/client/journal).
- Highlight areas where feedback is required from client or author, so that any queries are clear to the account team and the client/author.
- Provide sets of validated references as required, working in collaboration with the Account Executive on the account.
- Understand the process of editing a manuscript (including illustrations, tables and references), journal proofs and printer colour proofs.
- Develop an eye for detail and ensure consistency within and between relevant documents.
- Incorporate editorial comments and solve queries to present a ''finished'' final document to the account team.
- Develop an understanding of the different types of proof-reading - rough reading and close reading - and when they should be used.
- Learn proof-reading marks and use when appropriate.
- Liaise with clients as required to progress tactics for which you hold responsibility.
- Respond promptly to client requests.
- Have full understanding of medical and marketing issues relating to the client, product and therapy area.
- Understand the role medical education plays in the client''s business environment.
- Develop an understanding of journal procedures.
- Become familiar with all key journals in each client''s therapy area.
- Use the Science Citations Index and Ullrich''s to determine appropriate journals for particular publications.
- Provide journal recommendations to the account team in a format suitable for use with the client.
- Be aware of the sensitivity of an agency dealing with a publisher.
Account Management :
- Responsibility for the timely, effective and efficient tactical implementation of selected projects, in consultation with your Manager.
- Ensure effective updates are provided to the rest of your team and Manager on progress of your projects.
- Contribute to team updates, programme planning and brainstorm meetings as required.
- Working knowledge of procedures for different types of publication, including writing, editing, proof-reading, design, print, production, learned journal procedures and congress abstract procedures.
OHW Medical Education:
- Answer incoming calls, transfer and take messages in accordance with company procedure, as required.
- Ensure understanding and implementation of all company procedures and quality standards
- Computer literacy - Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Reference Manager, PubMed.
- Keep storage and work areas tidy.